Global Spectrum, facility manager of Historic Boardwalk Hall and the Atlantic City Convention Center, reported tremendous progress at both facilities during its first full year of management. Assuming management of the facilities, owned by Casino Reinvestment Development Authority (CRDA), on Jan. 1, 2014, Global Spectrum quickly identified opportunities to increase efficiencies, attract more events and drive additional revenue to the bottom line.
“We are certainly very pleased with the professionalism, expertise and impressive results that Global Spectrum has produced for us this year,” said John Palmieri, executive director, CRDA. “I am excited for all of the wonderful events that are coming to Atlantic City in 2015 as our partners at Global Spectrum continue to market our two state-of-the-art facilities.”
According to Fran Rodowicz, general manager, Global Spectrum, the facility management firm increased the amount of activity at both properties, created new affordable labor agreements, enhanced the technology infrastructure and improved customer service scores.
“By collaborating with our client CRDA, and local partners ACA and Meet AC, we were able to increase business for both venues and for the Atlantic City region,” Rodowicz stated.
Highlights of the company’s first year of management include:
- Increase in business at both facilities: In 2014, Global Spectrum hosted 54 ticketed events at Boardwalk Hall, a 26 percent increase from the year before, generating $14.66 million in revenue and serving 253,175 customers. Global Spectrum worked closely with partner Meet AC at the Atlantic City Convention Center to increase hotel bookings from meetings and conventions by 15 percent in 2014 and future event bookings for the facility by 58 percent.
- New labor agreements with unions: Global Spectrum successfully negotiated new agreements with all of the represented bargaining units in both facilities. The new agreements will ensure that promoters get shows up and running in a timely, efficient manner, and will ultimately lead to cost savings and an increased level of service for all shows coming into Atlantic City.
- Smart City introduced to improve technology and communications: Working with their partner Smart City, Global Spectrum is leading the charge to enhance the technology infrastructure at both facilities. This includes network cabling, high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi and analog, and conference phone services. The enhancements and services will allow each venue to host world-class events that meet the growing needs of event organizers, managers, exhibitors and attendees.
- Improved customer service scores at Atlantic City Convention Center: Global Spectrum’s customer service rankings, an important focus for the company at both facilities, improved to 4.62 at the end of 2014.
- Brand new responsive website for www.BoardwalkHall.com: Global Spectrum introduced a newly designed responsive website in October 2014, allowing for easier usability and navigation.
- Client return rate of 65 percent: The Atlantic City Convention Center has one of the highest client return rates in the country, returning 65 percent of business in 2014.
- New parking fee structure at A.C. Convention Center: Customer feedback led to a new parking plan at the Convention Center that allows for 24-hour parking at a flat $15 rate that has been well received by clients and attendees alike.
Global Spectrum will host more concerts at Boardwalk Hall during the first quarter of 2015, than in any year since the renovation in 2002, according to Rodowicz. At the Atlantic City Convention Center, the Atlantic City Beer Festival is anticipating record attendance in its 10th year. Global Spectrum is currently scheduling major capital improvement projects at both facilities.
Upcoming public shows at the Atlantic City Convention Center include:
- Atlantic City RV & Camping Show, February 13 – 16
- Atlantic City Home & Garden Show, February 20 – 22
- Atlantic City Classic Car Show, February 27 – March 1
- Atlantic City Beer Festival, March 20 – 21
- Magic The Gathering, May 8 – 10