Rotating to different venues each year, the 2015 SEGD Conference: Experience Chicago, the only annual conference designed for creatives working in experiential graphic design produced by the Society for Experiential Graphic Design (SEGD), will gather at Sheraton Towers on June 4-6 to focus on the future of experiential design and its impacts on the city and those who shape it. Chicago was selected this year as a hub for architecture, design and innovation.
A gathering place for the experiential graphic design community, attendees will explore topics ranging from urban redevelopment, Smart Cities, and open data to technology integration and design for social change. Involved in shaping place and experience will be experiential and environmental graphic designers, architects, landscape architects, interaction designers, branding and strategy experts, technology integrators, fabricators and makers, and clients.
“It’s a thrilling time to be involved in experiential graphic design,” said Clive Roux, CEO, SEGD. “Design in general—and XGD in particular—is evolving rapidly as new digital tools, new open data sources and new design thinking approaches revolutionize how we design the city and experiences in the public realm. It’s here, at the SEGD Conference, where experiential graphic designers gather to inspire one another, share best practices and envision the future together.”
The three-day educational event is designed to inspire, with a combination of hands-on, maker-focused workshops, including SEGD’s Experiential Learning Series and Design Improv, and blue-sky sessions with today’s top design thought leaders:
- The 21st Century Designer with Hunter Tura, Bruce Mau Design
- The Legible Smart City with Mike Rawlinson, City ID
- Design Thinking and the Future of Cities with Dana Arnett, VSA Partners
- Everything: All at Once with Alisa Wolfson, Leo Burnett Department of Design
- Design for Social Change with George Aye and Sara Cantor Aye, Greater Good Studio
- Championing the Value of Design with Despina Macris, Dot Dash
- The Divvy Story with Dawn Hancock, Firebelly
- Vision and Collaboration with Rick Valicenti and John Pobojewski, Thirst
- The 21st Century Maker with Wendy Fok, We Designs
- Taming Great Expectations with David Zach, Futurist
The conference will be preceded by the one-day SEGD Academic & Research Summit on June 3 then showcase SEGD’s industry partners—including fabricators, makers, and material and service providers—at the all-day NEXPO on June 5. Winners of SEGD’s annual competition recognizing excellence in experiential graphic design will be announced at the SEGD Global Design Awards Celebration on June 6.
For more information, visit segd.org/segdconference/2015-experience-chicago
For information about exhibiting at NEXPO or becoming an SEGD Industry Partner, contact Kristin Bennani at Kristin@segd.org.